Please scroll down for downloads relating to Assessment, and check out Useful Links for websites relating to assessment.
Many Centres select Certa courses because the assessment can be designed to meet the particular needs of their learners. However, with this opportunity comes the responsibility to ensure that assessment meets the required standards, eg, National Occupational Standards and/or Ofqual Conditions of Recognition.
Assessors must be either experienced in teacher-assessed credit-based assessment, or qualified, i.e. hold an appropriate Assessor qualification.
Tutors with little experience in devising assessment tasks must attend appropriate training, provided either by Certa (see Catalogue of Events) or by a colleague who has attended the Certa training.
Assessment tasks must:
- map to the Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria
- be developed as written documents in their own right
- be internally verified before they are used with learners
- be fit for purpose, ie, valid, reliable, sufficient and accessible
- cover a range of assessment methods wherever possible
- be designed in such a way as to minimise bias
- be the same for each group that is following the course
- match the standard exemplified in the benchmark assessment tasks
- enable evidence of authenticity
- be stored in a secure place that ensures confidentiality where required
Please note that Certa must be informed about the use of unseen tests, before they are used with learners.
Assessment tasks must be:
- Valid. Tasks must be able to ascertain whether a learner has achieved the relevant Assessment Criteria at the appropriate level of demand (in line with the Ofqual Level Descriptors October 2015).
- Reliable, ie, consistent. It should not make any difference when or where the learners did the work, or which tutor assessed it.
- Sufficient. Tasks must generate enough evidence from each learner to enable assessors to make robust judgements.
- Accessible. Tasks should be designed to minimise bias and to permit Reasonable Adjustments to be made, while minimising the need for them. For further information please go to Access to Fair Assessment.
Assessment tasks must be checked by an Internal Verifier (IV) before they are used with learners. For further information please go to Internal Verification.
Certa can offer training in devising assessment tasks, by arrangement. Please see Quality Support Package.
Assessing learner work
Learner work for each task must be assessed against the Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria and judged to be either achieved or not achieved. All Learning Outcomes and Assessment Criteria must be met.
Assessors should ensure that:
- assessment is planned, appropriate, consistent, fair and transparent and does not unintentionally discriminate against any learner
- learners clearly understand assessment requirements
- learners’ work is authentic, ie, completed by the named learner
- work is sufficient, ie, provides enough evidence from each learner to enable robust judgements about achievement
- assessments meet the required level (using the Ofqual Level Descriptors October 2015)
- learner achievement is clearly mapped to the Assessment Criteria
Assessment must be internally verified; please go to Internal Verification for further information.
Please go to Useful Links for websites relating to assessment.
To download Qualification Specifications please go to Qualifications.
“Learners' work and assessment decisions were reliable across all of the levels standardised”Catalogue of Events